The Case Western Reserve University men's basketball team will play its first road game of the season this week, when the team travels to Granville, Ohio to face the Denison University Big Red on Tuesday, November 20th at 8:00 p.m.
Live Stats: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/denison/portal.htm?eventId=478645&streamType=video
The Spartans have opened up their 2018-19 season with a 3-0 record, including a 78-48 win over Franciscan and a 70-66 victory over Washington College, en route to capturing the title at the Bill Sudeck Tournament last weekend. CWRU is averaging 79.0 points per game on 46.4% shooting overall and 40.7% from three-point range, while allowing 64.7 points per contest. The team's leading scorer is sophomore guard Ignas Masiulionis, who is averaging 15.3 points per game on 46.7% shooting overall and 52.6% on three-point attempts, while junior forward Michael Hollis has added 13.7 points and 9.3 rebounds per game. Junior forward Connor Nally and sophomore guard Michael Volkening are each averaging 10.0 points per game.
The Spartans are under the leadership of Head Coach Todd McGuinness, who is now in his third year with the team. During his 10 year career as a collegiate head coach, which includes seven years at Hartwick, he has a 137-102 overall record, good for a .573 winning percentage. McGuinness is assisted by Mike Fitzpatrick and T.J. Duckett.
Denison Big Red
Denison has opened its 2018-19 season with a 0-2 record, including a 77-72 home loss to Oberlin and an 86-66 setback on the road against Ohio Northern. The Big Red are averaging 69.0 points per game on 44.6% shooting from the floor and 38.5% from three-point range, while allowing 81.5 points per contest. Senior guard Matt Doyle and junior guard Alex Meurer are each tied for the team lead with 12.0 points per game, while junior forward Fred Brou and freshman forward Freeman Brou each have a team-high 5.0 rebounds per contest.
Denison is coached by Bob Ghiloni, who is now in his 17th season with the team, and has recorded a mark of 172-249, good for a .409 winning percentage. He is assisted by Chris Sullivan and Stu Hartenstein.
CWRU will be looking to end a four-game losing streak to Denison, including a 74-69 loss at home last season. Since the 2007-08 season, the Spartans are 5-6 against the Big Red, including a 1-4 mark in road contests. During the loss last season, Masiulionis connected on four three-pointers and scored a team-high 18 points, while sophomore Antonio Ionadi added 10 points in the game.
- In addition to Hollis being named the Most Valuable Player of the Bill Sudeck Tournament, Masiulionis was selected to the all-tournament team. It marked the second-straight season that the Spartans have won the Bill Sudeck Tournament Championship.
- CWRU is one of three remaining undefeated teams in the University Athletic Association. Emory and Rochester are also 3-0 on the season.
- The Spartans are third in the UAA in points per game (79.0), second in both blocks per game (4.0) and steals per game (8.3).
- Case Western Reserve leads the UAA with a 40.7% mark on three-point attempts, and is second in the UAA in made three-point shots.
- Hollis is fourth in the UAA with 9.3 rebounds per game, and leads all conference players in field goal percentage (80.0%).
- Junior Sam Hansen moved into 19th place in program history with 83 made three pointers over his career. He is 10th in school history with a 36.9% shooting percentage on three-point tries. Junior Connor Nally is third in school history with a 41.3% mark on three-point tries for his career.