The Case Western Reserve University baseball team will take a brief break from its University Athletic Association schedule to host crosstown opponent Baldwin Wallace University at 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, April 3rd at Nobby's Ballpark in Cleveland, Ohio.
Live Stats: https://athletics.case.edu/sports/bsb/2018-19/boxscores/20190403_m0n4.xml
The Spartans will enter Wednesday's game with a 12-8 overall record, including a 6-2 record at home, after dropping a pair of close games in a weather-shortened series against 18th-ranked Washington University (Mo.) last weekend at Nobby's Ballpark. CWRU is batting .316 as a team this season and averaging 7.6 runs per game, while the pitching staff has a 3.00 ERA and a .242 opponents' batting average. Top hitters for the Spartans include senior third baseman Jacob Kucia (.408, 13 RBIs), junior outfielder Samuel Neal (.356, three HRs, 19 RBIs), senior second baseman Rocco Maue (.338, four HRs, 20 RBIs) and sophomore outfielder/ catcher Jake Ryan (.337, three HRs, 22 RBIs). The rotation is anchored by sophomore Matt Levine (2-2, 1.74 ERA) and freshmen Nick Denove (3-2, 2.79 ERA) and Willem Bouma (3-0, 1.42 ERA), while junior Scott Kutschke (4-0, 0.42 ERA), senior Corey Brown (0-1, 3.52 ERA, three saves) and junior Paul Slota (0-0, 2.84 ERA) have been the team's top options out of the bullpen.
CWRU Head Coach Matt Englander will enter Wednesday's game just one win shy of 300 for his collegiate coaching career. Now in his 13th season with the team, Englander has a career record of 299-221-2, good for a .575 winning percentage. CWRU has won at least 24 games each of the last nine seasons, and has made the NCAA Tournament three times and won three UAA Championships under Englander. He is assisted by Nick Callahan, Branden Stucky and Jake Plata.
BALDWIN WALLACE YELLOW JACKETS
The Yellow Jackets, who received votes in this week's D3baseball.com Top-25, stand at 11-6 overall entering the week, including a 1-0 road record, and are scheduled to play a doubleheader at Mount Union on Tuesday before facing the Spartans on Wednesday. Baldwin Wallace is batting .253 as a team and is averaging 5.4 runs per game, while the pitching staff has a 2.80 ERA and has allowed a .239 opponents' average. Leading the team's offense are Asa Adams (.352, seven RBIs), Kyle Pennington (.328, 10 RBIs) and Philip Wells (.305, two HRs, 21 RBIs), while top pitchers include Danny Cody (3-0, 1.59 ERA), Spencer Aukerman (1-1, 1.66 ERA) and Nick Smith (0-0, 1.32 ERA).
Baldwin Wallace is led by Head Coach Brian Harrison, a 2000 graduate of Shawnee State, who is now in his ninth season with the team, and has a record of 221-132 with the Yellow Jackets. His career includes a three-year stint as the Head Coach at Urbana, and he is now 297-217 during his 12 years of coaching. Harrison is assisted by Tom DeAngelis, Steve Hagen, Aaron Klinec, Chase Knodle and D.J. Santiago.
Wednesday's game is scheduled to be the first meeting between the two teams since the end of the 2017 season, when the Spartans swept a doubleheader at Baldwin Wallace with a pair of 8-5 wins. CWRU has won three-straight games against the Yellow Jackets, and 10 of the last 15 matchups dating back to the 2010 season.
- CWRU is 5-0 this season when scoring 10 runs or more in a game, and has won 71-straight games when scoring 10 runs or more, dating back to April 17, 2011.
- CWRU is 37-11 at Nobby's Ballpark over the last four seasons, good for a .771 winning percentage.
- The Spartans are batting .376 as a team (65-of-173) against left-handed pitching this year. In addition, CWRU's hitters are reaching base at a .459 mark to leadoff innings this season (compared to a .414 mark overall).
- Left-handed hitters are batting just .203 (25-of-123) against CWRU pitchers this season.
- Scott Kutschke is fifth among qualifying Division III pitchers (minimum one inning pitched per team game) with a 0.42 earned run average in 2019. He is also 37th in victories (4), 34th in WHIP (0.88), and 39th in strikeout-to-walk ratio (8.33).
- Jacob Kucia and Rocco Maue lead the Spartans this season with eight multiple-hit games. Jake Ryan has paced the squad with six multiple RBI games this year.
- The Spartans are 34th among Division III teams with 14 home runs this season. Seven different Spartans have swatted at least one home run this year, led by Maue's four, which ranks him first among UAA players and 45th in all of Division III.
- Nick Denove leads the UAA and is 29th in Division III with two complete games, each coming in his last two starts.