Foreign trips have been a staple of the CWRU men’s basketball program. The NCAA permits Division III teams to travel abroad once every three years, providing members of each class of the team the opportunity to experience these once in a lifetime trips.
CWRU’s foreign trip history dates back to 1985 when Spartan Club Hall of Fame Coach Bill Sudeck led the Spartans to the Middle East.
2013 Trip Highlights:
- Whitewater rafting on the Pacuare River
- Schooner excursion and zip line tour of Costa Rica’s Rainforest
- Swimming in the Gulf of Mexico
- Two “international friendly” games
- Community service (painting at a school in Turrialba and a basketball skills clinic for local youth)
"Our trip to Costa Rica was an experience that I will remember for the rest of my life. Not many collegiate athletes get an opportunity like this, and I am incredibly grateful." – Dane McLoughlin ‘15
“Our team had an incredible time in Brazil, and we were extremely grateful for the opportunity that was provided to us by Spartan Basketball Alumni & Friends.” – Tom Summers ‘12
“The trip to Brazil was a major highlight of my college years. We got to experience their culture in a special way, as no tourist ever could.” – Mason Conrad ‘08