(Address for the adjoining parking garage, Lot 53)
2138 Adelbert Road
Cleveland, OH 44106
The home of Spartan basketball, wrestling and volleyball, Horsburgh Gymnasium is located on the South side of the CWRU campus in the Veale Convocation, Recreation and Athletic Center.
Horsburgh Gymnasium was named for Robert G. Horsburgh [alumnus, 1914], a member of the Case Board of Trustees. He was president of the Horsburgh and Scott Company, manufacturers of industrial gears and speed reducers. The Sam W. Emerson [alumnus, 1902] Physical Education Center, which actually houses Horsburgh Gym, was dedicated on May 24, 1957 and was completely refurbished and physically incorporated into the Veale Center and rededicated on April 22, 1998. The Case Institute of Technology Rough Riders played their home games at Cathedral Latin High School until Emerson was built. The facility became the official home of the Case Western Reserve University Spartans in 1971 when CIT and Western Reserve University merged basketball teams.
The facility features a newly refurbished playing court, seating for 1,600 spectators, a press row area equipped with wireless internet and a lounge area overlooking the court - often used for alumni and special event gathering.
In addition to hosting Spartan athletics and numerous local high school events, Horsburgh played host to the 2004 Vice Presidential debate held on October 5.